Thursday, April 5, 2007

Spring In Maine








This is just last week here in Maine. The snow was almost gone, and the temperature was at least in the 40's everyday. It was officially mud-season. The kids were thrilled (as was I) to be able to run around and play without being hindered by all the the poofy layers of snowpants, coats, boots, hats, etc etc.

And my favorite thing of all- the robins came out. About 30 of them milling around the lawn every morning until our 3-legged dog noticed them and chased them around. I finally heard a pheobe- which for me has always been the sign that spring is really here. I love that sound, always have since I was a little girl.
I love this time of year- the longer days, the smell of the earth thawing, the sun, and the sounds- all hinting of the long warm summer days to come...





Then came Tuesday morning. I looked out my window and saw this:


It was actually really beautiful, but, well, it just wasn't what I expected to see on an April morning. I'm not much of a winter person, but I reasoned that it would probably melt by the end of the day, and spring would be back for good.


Then we got a snowstorm. My kids were thrilled. Calev didn't have school, and spent most of the day outside (after I dragged the winter stuff out from where I had packed it away for the season). Eleora and Ezra followed me around the house with their boots until I gave in, and bundled them up. Poor Ezra could barely stand up outside, especially with the clunky boots. He's 14 months old, and has been walking since he was 9 months. He is so steady on his feet most of the time- he runs, jumps, climbs- and he's very determined and strong-willed when he sets his mind on something ... all I can say is he was so frustrated ! Every two steps he was flat on his back, or his face. And when he did manage to get his balance in the snow, Otie kept running over and knocking him back down.

Actually, the picture is a bit deceiving. This is one of the few times Ezra actually stayed up while Otie knocked the other two down. We got a LOT of snow during that storm- I think it was the most we got all winter. And 4 days later it's still here. I wonder if we'll have a spring at all this year?
Driving home today, I saw a field full of Canada geese standing around looking perplexed. It was definately spring when they decided to fly north again. I wonder if they think they got lost?

When we first moved to Maine a few years ago someone said that if you don't like the weather, just blink. They were right. That's how it is here. You just never know what to expect, and it can always change with the blink of an eye.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.