Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thoughts on "Dr. Judgemental" and Homebirth

I stumbled onto a blog several weeks ago- basically discussing the safety of homebirth.(www.homebirthdebate.com) At least that's what it claims to discuss. It's more like the ongoing rant of a retired OB who is viciously against homebirth, and also midwives and anything connected to the term "natural".
I'm hardly surprised at the concept of an OB being against homebirth. And I have no problem with someone wading through the studies and literature to find out if homebirth truly is as safe as it's claimed to be by the midwifery community. I'm all for separating truth from fiction. My problem with Dr. Amy Tuteur is that she has an agenda, which she is dishonest about. When she says her sole purpose is to provide women with the facts, then proceeds to post numerous diatribes which reflect nothing more than personal opinion, and routinely attacks positions that differ from hers- based on nothing more than philosophical differences, and again, personal opinion- well, that I have a problem with. Not that I care if she has her opinions- but don't disrespect your reraders by claiming to only be providing facts when facts only make up a small portion of your posts.
The thing is, I don't even disagree with a lot of what she says. My sister called her "Dr. Judgemental" after reading some of her site. I think it fits, so I'm going to use it. It's her utter lack of respect for other people with differnt views that bothers me. Also, her narrow-mindedness. She is so opinionated that she is unable to accept that you can have a different view, and niether one is necessarily wrong. There are some things that are just not worth arguing about- especially when it comes to personal philosophy. Yes, many homebirth advocates are driven by a specific philosophy. But so are doctors, and the medical establishment. I know I always tend to take the middle ground on things, but it's not out of the need to avoid conflict (believe me, I've never run from an argueament!!). It's more out of the fact that both sides (regardless of the issue), have valid points. There is some truth to both. And niether is based on a pure black-and-white principals that all members uniformly adhere to. When someone is so passionate about proving a point that they can no longer see clearly, it's rather sad. Dr. Judgemental does this. She has her preconcieved and largely made-up notion of what a "natural childbirth advocate" is. There is no room for any variation no matter what anyone says to her. She has us all wrapped into her neat little packages- unfortunately (for her) people don't always (or even usually) fit into a perfect little category. It is possible to strike a balance between two diametrically-opposed schools of thought. As a matter of fact, when it comes to this subject; homebirth vs. hospital birth, midwifery-model vs. medical-model, nature vs. technology, etc etc etc..it's actually smarter to look at the positive aspects of both, or at least accept that your way isn't the only "right" way.

I have spent a lot of time commenting to some of her posts. Not really a lot of time, just a few minutes here and there. But, too much time nonetheless. I am convinced she is purposely argumentative- probably just to generate comments, but I realized (as many already have) that it is a complete waste of time. I have many opinions of my own on the subject, and I plan to express them, but on my own site, on my own terms, when something strikes my interest. She has no intention of ever really looking at anyone's arguement with a clear and balanced eye, so why bother? Most people, regardless of their opinion on homebirth, can read her posts, and come to their own conclusions on what motivates her. And it certainly isn't the "Truth" or the "facts" or even the best interest of women and babies. She is driven by her own philosophical outlook on life, and is rather uneducated on the very subjects she routinely dismisses or attacks.
Unlike her constant claims, homebirth is NOT unsafe, by any means, if you are an appropriate candidate for homebirth. There is NO scientific evidence ANYWHERE that shows homebirth to be unsafe. In fact, it has been proven safe time and time again. Is it "as safe or safer than" hospital birth? That is the real question. And the answer is not as simple and clear-cut as Dr. Judgemental makes it out to be. That is something I definately plan on going into on a deeper level when I have the time. (ha- as if I ever have spare time!!)
Anyway, I have lots to say- being a woman who has had 3 very different births- one a c-section in a hospital, the second an intended homebirth with a transport to the hospital, and the third at home with a midwife. I will write about each of these when I have the time, and what my experiences have taught me. I'm not an obstetrician, nor am I a midwife. But, unlike the stereotypical homebirther (according to Dr. Judgemental) I am well informed of the risks and benefits of all options available to me, I am educated, and have a very solid grasp of both science, and statistics. There is a lot of propoganda and un-truths on both sides of the homebirth issue. It's just too bad that an obsterician, who appears to be both intelligent and educated, tries so hard to sway women into her way of thinking by using fear tactics, portraying opinion as "fact", and continuously implying that anyone who disagrees is ignorant, uninformed, and unable to grasp either staistics or science. I just don't understand why she feels the need to denigrate other woman's choices to make her point (with no real scientific evidence to back her up). Luckily not all doctors are like her.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It's interesting, but for all of Dr. Judgmental's supposed education, experience and general knowledge, your take on the subject is so much more concise, logical and based in fact. Not to mention that you don't need to denigrate anyone who had a differening opinion...well, other than Dr. Judgmental herself of course.

Baby Keeper said...

Hi, Rachel --

what a cute baby you have there!!

wanted to let you know about my blog, www.hospitalbirthdebate.blogspot.com that originally began as a counter blog for Dr. J's. I wanted to provide info about the hospital birth environment and to give women a place to share their ancedotal research and stories and feel valued. It (I)quickly outgrew the need to counter her and now it just is .. and it's about Making Birth Safe in the US.

Check it out. I invite guest articles, if you ever feel inclined.

JM

Michelle said...

This part of your thread is nearly a year old but, as a new blogger but "old" midwife; I just ran into Dr. Amy. Wow...and wow. I am simply astonished at the veracity of her attacks and even more taken aback by how few of her readers' seem to understand how little regard she has for their own ability to make sense of data or information. She literally makes the assertion that without her around to "unpack" the data; none of us would be able to come to the "right" conclusion. Even when she makes a reference and provides a "lead" to the data under discussion/dispute; she inserts her "breakdown" of the data in such a way that it blurs and obfuscates anyone's ability to discern what they're reading! She does not ever, and I mean ever, just give the reference to the data and allow someone to just go read it...oh no....she has to be there for the ride to explain it to you! Crazy stuff and I agree with you; I've signed off. Too much agression and ego for me! I hope you'll take a look at my blog sometime--closetotheroot.blogspot.com Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but...

I have been personally attacked for no reason on Amy's blog by her and nobody else. She repeatedly insults my intelligence and my integrity and when I ask her questions she refuses to answer them and instead insults me. I have been so personally hurt by the blog that my husband is seriously considering banning my use of the computer!

When I told my DH about the blog, he said "What a crazy extremist, I bet she ends every post she makes by yelling 'Jihad! Jihad!'" Which is certainly a very unfair and mean thing to say but it just seemed so right!

Thank you for the space to vent my frustration! After reading your post, I will never go back to that site again.

Rachael said...

Hi Nik,
Yeah... Dr Amy can be extrememly frustrating. I have floated back there from time to time, and do comment once in awhile.
I have to say, though, that I do agree with a lot of what she says. I think she puts a lot of people off by being overly critical and sarcastic sometimes- she goes back and forth. Sometimes she makes very good arguments, and responds with facts without being denigrating or judgemental. Other times, she can be, well, downright nasty.
Some of it, I'm sure, is to generate comments, and get people going for entertainment purposes. She's said as much, and quite frankly, that's one way to generate more traffic, which is a goal of that type of blog.
Reading her posts can be beneficial if you can do it without getting emotionally involved. If you can read them for the facts only, and just overlook the provocative stuff, it's a good viewpoint, adds some balance, and can be pretty interesting.
Of course, she does have her own agenda, and is clearly against homebirth for any reason. And her blog often goes beyond the discussion of homebirth, and attacks all aspects of "Natural birth" too, so you can't win. There will always be the aspect of different philosophies, which is always polarizing in this type of debate, and there's no right or wrong. As long as you know that, it won't bother you so much.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm really into shoes and I was looking as far as something that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were all over 340 pounds on every site. But for all I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that meticulous make. The prices seeking the velcros are all over 320 dollars on every page. But completely I found this locate selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what do you think?