Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's getting cold...

It's getting cold once again here in Maine. Except for the astronomically high oil prices, I'm actually sort of looking forward to winter this year. Maybe it's because we're in Waterville now, and it won't feel like we're so isolated like we were in St Albans. It'll be nice to not live on a hill with the wind beating mercilessly at our house, on a dirt road that was almost impossible to drive up from December through May. The only thing I'll miss is seeing the deer outside every morning, and the amazing brightness of the stars on a clear night. But then, when I think about having to dig a tunnel through the snow to the mailbox, it seems like a minor sacrifice for all the conveniences of town living. Besides, the skunk living under our porch is more interesting than deer any day!! We've traded the stars at night for a streetlight outside our window, and the sound of snowmobiles and four-wheelers for the sound of cars. But now it takes exactly 2.5 minutes to get to the store for milk, and we can go outside for a walk whenever we feel like it, without having to dress the kids in pounds of gear, and rescue whistles in case they are suddenly completely consumed by the mud.
It's funny- I've always considered myself a country girl, but what did I know? I spent most of my childhood on Long Island, NY. If I couldn't see every detail through the windows of the house next door, we were in the country. I always thought the highways in upstate NY were really creepy because they were so empty. I did go to college in Vermont, at a tiny school in the country (for real), but I lived on campus, around people. I've realized over time that that's what it is- I like to be around people. Solitude is wonderful, once in awhile, but for everyday life, especially with little kids, I really like being close to civilization.
I can't wait to see Ezra's face when we get our first real snowfall- Which should be any day now here in miane, right? He played outside last winter, but It'll be brand new to him this year. I love the look of amazement and wonder in their eyes when they look out the window and see everything covered in a blanket of white for the first time. And the way they giggle when they step outside into the snow, and experience all the new sensations that go along with it. That's my favorite thing about little kids- the way they experience each new thing so fully- and their emotions are so genuine and raw.

No comments: